In autumn 2021, the Munich Philharmonic is moving to the newly created Isarphilharmonie in Sendling, while the original Gasteig complex is being renovated. The orchestra’s temporary home can accommodate around 1800 people and are located on the »HP8« site, which is named after its address – Hans-Preißinger-Straße 8.
- »Thanks to the creation of the Isarphilharmonie, Munich will be home to one of the most extraordinary contemporary concert halls. The new interim premises for the Munich Philharmonic will delight visitors and become a key element of our diverse urban culture.« Lord Mayor of Munich Dieter Reiter
The auditorium has raked seating in the stalls on the ground floor as well as balconies and circle seats on the first and second floors. There is lift access to the first floor. The safety railings encircling the dress circle and gallery areas are covered with steel mesh so that they neither impede audience views nor affect the acoustics.
- »The Isarphilharmonie will be a pioneering concert hall with excellent acoustics. I look forward to fantastic live performances and to being able to welcome music fans from near and far.« Principal conductor Valery Gergiev
The building consists of a steel structure with an internal volume of nearly 60,000 cubic metres. The auditorium itself is constructed from prefabricated solid wood elements that are integrated into the overall construction and the stage has an area of around 272 m².
- »The music is created on the stage and our job is simply to convey it. Our goal is to make sure that the audience hears what happens on the stage as authentically as possible« says Yasuhisa Toyota.
The new base for the Munich Philharmonic was designed by international architectural practice »Gerkan Marg and Partners« and constructed by the Swiss »NÜSSLI Group«. Nagata Acoustics headed by Yasuhisa Toyota drew on their decades of experience and expertise from past projects – including Hamburg’s Elbphilharmonie, the Philharmonie de Paris and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles – to create the auditorium’s acoustics.
- »The Munich Philharmonic provides world-class music and the same is true of our Isarphilharmonie. The new setting, the acoustic experience and the surprises promised by the orchestral programme are three good reasons to come and visit Gasteig HP8. This invitation is open to our loyal supporters as well as anyone who has not visited us before.« Cultural advisor Anton Biebl
The foyer of the new Isarphilharmonie is housed in the striking »Hall E«. The former transformer warehouse dates from the 1920s and has been renovated from the ground up, taking care to retain its unique industrial flair. With its brick exterior, it is spacious and bright inside, not least thanks to its large glass roof. Even the old industrial crane remains suspended under the ceiling. On the ground floor, the hall houses a buzzing foyer complete with reading café, bar, information and ticket desk as well as a cinema.
- »What can and should a cultural meeting place look like these days? How can we create and foster genuine interaction and communication? We look forward to exploring new and unexpected perspectives on these issues from our base in Sendling.« Executive Director Paul Müller